Föhrenbergkreis Finanzwirtschaft

Unkonventionelle Lösungen für eine zukunftsfähige Gesellschaft

Posts Tagged ‘Rare Metals’

Xi’s Trip to Rare Earths Plant Stokes Talk of Trade Retaliation

Posted by hkarner - 21. Mai 2019

Date: 20-05-2019
Source: Bloomberg News

President Xi Jinping’s visit to a rare earths facility fueled speculation that the strategic materials could be weaponized in China’s tit-for-tat with the U.S. on trade.

Shares in JL MAG Rare-Earth Co. surged by their daily limit Monday after state news agency Xinhua said the Chinese president had stopped by the company in Jiangxi. Official news outlets give regular updates on the whereabouts of top leaders, sometimes leading to share spikes on the belief that companies have been handed official backing.

Shares in JL MAG Rare-Earth jumped after President Xi visited the company
But the visits may also flag policy priorities, and rare earths have featured in the escalating trade spat between the U.S. and China. The Asian country raised tariffs to 25% from 10% on American imports, while the U.S. excluded rare earths from its own list of prospective tariffs on roughly $300 billion worth of Chinese goods to be targeted in the next wave of measures. Den Rest des Beitrags lesen »

Posted in Artikel | Verschlagwortet mit: , , , , | Leave a Comment »

China’s Dangerous Monopoly on Metals

Posted by hkarner - 16. April 2019

Date: 15-04-2019
Source: The Wall Street Journal

Control of the rare-earth supply gives Beijing both economic and military advantages over the U.S.

As trade talks between the U.S. and China have focused on manufacturing, American negotiators seem to be ignoring China’s growing domination of raw materials that are crucial to both countries’ security and standard of living.

Rare-earth metals are essential for producing most technological equipment. It is impossible to build a car without cerium, a smartphone without europium, a guided missile without neodymium. China now controls the supply of all 16 strategically critical rare-earth metals. In fact, 96% of global mining output for rare-earth metals comes from within China’s borders, and the country gained control of the remaining 4% in 2017 by acquiring the Molycorp rare-earth mine in Mountain Pass, Calif., near the Nevada border. Den Rest des Beitrags lesen »

Posted in Artikel | Verschlagwortet mit: , , | Leave a Comment »

Rare metals: Unobtainiums

Posted by hkarner - 16. Januar 2016

Date: 14-01-2016
Source: The Economist

They are obscure, yet essential. Why rare metals make the world go round

The Elements of Power: Gadgets, Guns and the Struggle for a Sustainable Future in the Rare Metal Age. By David Abraham. Yale University Press, 319 pages; $30 and £20.

LIKE this reviewer, many parents will have given their children electric toothbrushes for Christmas, hoping that the sensors that buzz after two minutes will keep them brushing longer than their flimsy elbow grease. Both generations may, however, be ignorant of the fact that in that time the toothbrushes produce more than 62,000 strokes; that the power to generate such motion comes from tiny magnets using three rare metals, neodymium, dysprosium and boron; and that some of these metals are so coveted that in 2010 they were at the centre of a dangerous rift between China and Japan.

In all, an electric toothbrush is made of 35 metals. The journey they take to children’s gums may involve China, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Chile, Russia, South Korea, Indonesia, Turkey and other countries too. They are rare, says David Abraham in “The Elements of Power”, a thought-provoking book that follows the trail of these elements, not because they are necessarily scarce or hard to extract. It is because they are used in tiny yet essential quantities—like yeast in a pizza. Den Rest des Beitrags lesen »

Posted in Books | Verschlagwortet mit: , , | Leave a Comment »